Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
Not your traditional tomato soup, this quick-cooking dish can be a side or light main meal
- 1 can (14 and 1/2 oz) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup jarred roasted red peppers, drained (or substitute fresh roasted red peppers)
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, rinsed and chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
- Combine tomatoes and red peppers in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Put tomato mixture in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add evaporated milk, garlic powder, and pepper. Return to a boil, and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add basil, and serve.
- Optional step: Serve with whole-wheat croutons sprinkled on top.
Find more delicious heart healthy recipes from