Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
The tomato relish adds just the right amount of flavor.
For spicy tomato relish:
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 salmon steaks, 5 oz each
- 3 cups water
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 lemon, thickly sliced
- 3 parsley sprigs
- 1 small onion, thickly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- To prepare relish, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, and set aside.
- Using a pan large enough to hold salmon steaks, bring water to a boil and add peppercorns, lemon slices, parsley, onion, and bay leaves.
- Lower heat to a gentle simmer, cover, and let flavors infuse for 5 minutes. Add salmon steaks and make sure they are covered with water (add additional water if needed).
- Cook, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork in the thickest part (minimum internal temperature of 145 °F). Never let water boil or fish will toughen.
- Serve each steak with relish.
Find more delicious heart healthy recipes from