Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
Pasta, vegetables, and a sprinkle of cheese make this a child-friendly classic that adults will love too
- 8 oz dry whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (about 1/2 clove)
- 4 cup assorted cooked vegetables—such as red pepper strips, broccoli florets, carrot sticks, or green beans (Leftover Friendly)
- 1 can (15 and 1/2 oz) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 and 1/2 oz) low-sodium tomato juice
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add spaghetti, and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, combine olive oil and garlic in a large sauté pan. Cook until garlic is soft, but not browned (about 30 seconds).
- Add mixed vegetables, and cook until vegetables are soft, but not browned (about 3–5 minutes).
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato juice, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add spaghetti and parmesan cheese. Toss until the pasta is hot and well mixed, and serve.
Find more delicious heart healthy recipes from