Sexual abuse is one form of child abuse. It includes a wide range of actions between a child and an adult or older child. Often these involve body contact, but not always. Exposing one's genitals to children or pressuring them for sex is sexual abuse. Using a child for pornography is also sexual abuse.
Most sexual abusers know the child they abuse. They may be family friends, neighbors or babysitters. About one-third of abusers are related to the child. Most abusers are men. If you think a child may have been abused, it's important to report it.
- (American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry) Also in
- (National Center for PTSD)
- (Children's Bureau) - PDF
- (American Association of Suicidology) - PDF
- (American Psychological Association)
- (National Child Traumatic Stress Network) Also in
- (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
Find an Expert
- (National Runaway Safeline)
- (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) - PDF
- (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) - PDF Also in